Nestled amid green hills, woods of oaks, meadows and pastures, the farmhouse Colle del Sole is only 8 km from the city centre of Gubbio, one of the most beautiful cities of art in Umbria. It is situated in a scenic location, surrounded by wide valleys and beautiful country landscapes. Our clients can walk in the game reserve and enjoy the peacefulness of lush woods.
Rooms, apartments and the restaurant are located inside an ancient Umbrian stone farmhouse dating back to the sixteenth century. The manor house and the former cattleshed preserve their original style thanks to a restoration inspired by the most advance techniques. All the rooms and the apartments are comfortable and bright. In order to guarantee to our guests the highest quality of the stay, they have been fully equipped with the greatest care in any detail.
The buildings and the infinity pool overlook meadows, woods and the truffle field cultivated by the owners.
Our family farm produces vegetables and fruits used to prepare jams, fruit juices, tomato puree and olive oil. Since the seasonality of crops is respected, our products are always fresh and their availability changes over the year.
We breed bovines, pigs and sheeps and we produce meats.
We always use healthy ingredients. At the restaurant, we serve dishes of the gastronomy tradition of Gubbio, our meats along with other products of our farm and to local foods.
La Chiesa del Castellotto (The church of the Castellotto)
The so called “Church of the Castellotto”, historically known as “Church of Our Lady of the Castellotto”, is a little chapel dating back to 1500. This church has always belonged to the homestead now housing our farmhouse. Our clients can freely visit it.
According to historical records, the church was founded after the discovery of a portrait of the Virgin Mary with the Child Jesus among the roots of an old oak. This relic, unfortunately been lost, gave rise to the cult for the Madonna del Castellotto, yet venerated by the local elders.
After a period of decay and abandon, the walls of the church have been restored by the current owner Emanuele Biagiotti. Now, the little chapel has returned to its former glory. In 1956, his parents were married here. On the occasion of their golden wedding anniversary, he decided to renovate the chapel. A priest blessed the walls, the bell and the altar in order to make possible officiate here a Mass.
Inside the church there are some original sacred objects, among which four frames and a candleholder.
The church is two-minute walk from the farmhouse Colle del Sole.
Proceeding along the same street, on foot or by car, our guests can reach the Monastery of Bethlehem, of the Assumption of the Virgin, and of Saint Bruno (located in Pisciano).
The order founded in the 1950 has twenty-nine monasteries in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Austria, Israel, United States, Germany, Argentina, Canada, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Chile, Cyprus, Algeria, Mexico, Jordan.
All the information and historical data are taken from the booklet “La Madonna del Castellotto di Nerbisci”, by Paolo Salciarini.
From Colle del Sole you can easily reach by car and visit in a day many interesting cities of art, medieval hamlets and nature parks in Umbria, Marche and Tuscany.
Distances from the main interesting places:
- Assisi 64 km
- Bevagna 78 km
- Castiglion del Lago 76 km
- Fossato di Vico 35 km
- Gubbio 8 Km
- Montefalco 87 km
- Regional Park of Mount Cucco 33 km
- Park of Mount Subasio 70 km
- Natural Park of Mount Tezio 50 km
- Sibillini Mountains National Park 110 km
- Passignano sul Trasimeno 57 km
- Perugia 48 Km
- Sansepolcro 61 km
- Spello 73 km
- Spoleto 98 km
- Todi 89 km
- Trevi 83 km
- Urbino 66 km